Skinny monkey cookies? What?
When I saw this recipe floating around the internet, I must admit the name raised my eyebrows a bit. It’s probably derived from the fact that the main ingredient in these cookies is banana…but it got me thinking, have you ever seen a fat monkey?
Then I realized that yes, I actually have.
However, that monkey certainly did not get fat eating these yummy cookies! With just a few ingredients, skinny monkey cookies are very low in sugar, are gluten free, vegan, and full of nutrients from the bananas and applesauce that give them a soft, naturally sweet texture. Three cookies only have around 100 calories, but they satisfy your sweet tooth perfectly. They’ll also not leave you hungry again in half an hour like many sweet snacks do, because with oatmeal, applesauce, peanut butter and bananas you’re getting a lot of nutrition in addition to a tasty treat.
I have seen a lot of variations of this cookie, but my favorite is from the Skinny Mom blog.
I used the recipe there for a base, and added a few things for an extra boost. Even so, the cookies are remarkably simple! Just bananas, oats, applesauce, a bit of peanut butter, chocolate chips and a touch of brown sugar are what the original recipe calls for. I added some shelled pumpkin seeds for extra protein and some ground flax for the omega 3 oil. I also added a few raisins in addition to the chocolate chips. I must admit, I was a little worried that with no egg, flour, or butter the cookies wouldn’t hold up. I was thrilled to find that they held their shape quite well, and had a nice, soft texture. It’s always fun to try something new and have it turn out even better than you expected!
Start your skinny monkey cookies by smashing three ripe, organic bananas in a bowl.
If you have little helpers in the kitchen with you, this is a great job for them! You can even put the whole bananas in a zip lock bag and let your toddler squeeze, squash, and smash to his heart’s content (not only will you get nutritious cookies out of this, you’ll also get a good 20 minutes of quiet). Once the bananas are smashed, add the applesauce (here’s how to make it yourself), organic peanut butter, organic gluten free oats, the pumpkin seeds and ground flax, organic brown sugar and raisins. Stir this all up very well, and then let it chill for 20 minutes or more (I let mine sit in the fridge for an hour). Letting the batter rest will give the oats a chance to absorb some liquid and gives the cookies a softer, more cookie-like texture, so don’t skip this step!
Right before you bake the cookies, mix in the chocolate chips. Drop them on a greased pan (or a parchment lined pan) by the tablespoonful, and bake them for 10 minutes.
Give your skinny monkey cookies a few minutes to cool….and there you have it!
Delicious, healthy skinny monkey cookies that are easy to make and good for you, too. Monkeys of all ages, shapes and sizes will love these cookies…and humans will, too!
- 3 ripe organic bananas
- 2 cups organic, gluten free oats
- ⅓ cup organic, all natural applesauce (here’s how to make it yourself)
- 2 tablespoons organic, all natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon organic brown sugar or rapadura (where to buy)
- 2 tablespoons organic shelled pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons organic ground flax seed
- ¼ cup organic raisins
- ¼ cup organic, fair trade dark chocolate chips (like these)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the bananas and smash them in a large bowl, making sure to remove any large lumps. This is a great job for a toddler….give them the bananas in zip lock bag and let them smash them with their hands!
- Add all the ingredients but the chocolate chips to the smashed bananas. Stir well, and place in the fridge for 20 minutes to an hour or so.
- Right before baking the cookies, add the chocolate chips and stir them into the batter. Drop by tablespoonful on a cookie sheet that’s been lined with parchment paper or greased with coconut oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool.
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.