About a year ago, a friend gifted me with a very special cookbook. Cooking for Isaiah, by Silvana Nardone, is a book full of recipes that are gluten and dairy free. This book found a special place in my heart because at one point in time my son was sensitive to gluten, diary, and soy…which made for some interesting adjusting in the kitchen! I enjoy Cooking for Isaiah not only because it offers many fantastic recipes and has beautiful pictures, but also because the introduction of the book chronicles a family’s journey to health through diet. Silvana also outlines kitchen tips and recipes for substitutions when cooking gluten and dairy free, making this a helpful book for those just starting the journey. Although I may make an ingredient swap here and there, the recipes in this book are healthy, fresh, and flavorful. One of my favorites is Potato Crusted Bacon Bits and Egg Pie, a savory breakfast that’s become a family favorite on lazy Saturday mornings. Crispy hash browns topped with melt-in-your mouth bacon bits and rich, fluffy egg…perfect for family breakfast or a holiday brunch!
This recipe is great baked in a cast iron skillet, or double it (as I did for this article) and bake it in a Le Crueset baking dish (or something similar). First, you grate some Yukon Gold potatoes. Wring out the extra liquid from the grated potatoes, and toss them in a bowl. I added some chopped onion as well, just for fun! Sprinkle on sea salt, pepper, and some paprika and toss them well.
Cook some organic, nitrate-free (uncured) bacon in your cast iron skillet or Le Creuset. Remove, drain and chop the bacon, but keep the drippings in the pan! Pour your potato mixture over the drippings, and cook without stirring until the potatoes are crisp on the bottom. In the meantime, whip some egg whites until they form soft peaks. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, some milk, mustard and the chopped bacon. Fold this into the egg whites and bake until the pie is puffy and golden-brown. Simple, and so good!
- 6 slices organic, nitrate-free bacon
- 2 organic Yukon Gold potatoes, grated and wrung dry
- ½ organic sweet Vidalia onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- sea salt and pepper
- 3 large, organic free range eggs at room temperature, seperated
- ½ cup raw organic milk or organic milk substitute (almond, coconut, rice etc.)
- 1 teaspoon organic yellow mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350. In a cast iron skillet or Le Creuset-type baking dish, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy and the fat has rendered. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels, leaving the fat in the pan. Allow the bacon to cool, then chop into small pieces.
- Toss the grated potatoes with the onion (if using), paprika, salt and pepper. Pour into the pan with the bacon drippings and cook without stirring until the bottom of the potatoes is crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, mustard and reserved bacon; season with sea salt and pepper and then fold this mixture into the egg whites. Spread over the potato mixture and bake until puffed and golden, about 25 minutes. Let stand for about 5 minutes before slicing.
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.
What’s your favorite weekend breakfast?
[separator style_type="single" top_margin="20" bottom_margin="20" sep_color="#dddddd" border_size="1" icon="" icon_circle="" icon_circle_color="" width="" alignment="center" class="" id=""] [fullwidth background_color="" background_image="" background_parallax="none" enable_mobile="no" parallax_speed="0.3" background_repeat="no-repeat" background_position="left top" video_url="" video_aspect_ratio="16:9" video_webm="" video_mp4="" video_ogv="" video_preview_image="" overlay_color="" overlay_opacity="0.5" video_mute="yes" video_loop="yes" fade="no" border_size="0px" border_color="" border_style="" padding_top="20" padding_bottom="20" padding_left="" padding_right="" hundred_percent="no" equal_height_columns="no" hide_on_mobile="no" menu_anchor="" class="" id=""]
SIGN UP FOR FREE UPDATES, OFFERS, & TIPS.
Plus I'll send you a free copy of "Your Simply Healthy Handbook." It's your #1 resource to make healthy living easy.