Do you love banana bread? I sure do. I’ve tried quite a few recipes for banana bread, cake, and muffins and found that adding banana to a recipe really helps when you are baking gluten free. The banana helps keep gluten free baked goods from crumbling, and keeps them nice and moist. Most of the gluten free recipes I’ve tried have used a rice-flour mix, and call for about the same amount of flour that you’d find in a traditional banana bread recipe. I love the delicious taste of these treats, but I am finding that there are just too many carbs in a lot of traditional recipes and I feel too full after eating them.
I was excited to find this recipe for Amazing Paleo Banana Muffins at the Paleo Grubs blog, because it uses very little flour! These cute muffins are mostly banana and egg, and they bake up much lighter and softer than most recipes I’ve tried that use almond or coconut flour. No hint of dry or crumbly here! And the ingredients couldn’t be more simple: Bananas, eggs, coconut flour, spices and coconut oil, and just a bit of leavening. You can add a touch of honey to the batter if you’d like them a little bit sweeter, but the bananas are naturally so sweet that it really isn’t a need!
The original recipe calls for almond butter as well as coconut flour, but I didn’t have any on hand and I thought they might turn out a little bit lighter without it. I think they turned out great! They were very moist and soft, and even though I baked 18 of them they didn’t last long once my kids tasted them. These would make a great breakfast, and they really are nutritious enough that I was OK with my kids eating them all in one day.
Well, I may have had a few of them, too.
And guess what? No over-full, icky bloated feeling! All in all, these muffins are a yummy success. I’ll be trying them again soon, maybe with some grated apple added, or raisins, or walnuts…so many possibilities!
- 4 ripe organic bananas, mashed
- 4 organic cage-free eggs
- ½ cup organic almond or coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil, melted (
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mash the bananas well. I used my stand mixer and a wire whisk to mash the bananas, and then just added all the ingredients to the bowl.
- Add the eggs and beat well.
- Add the melted coconut oil and vanilla, and mix again.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and add them a little at a time to the banana mixture. Mix well.
- Line a muffin tin with cup cake liners. Spoon batter into each cup, filling them nearly to the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until they begin to brown and a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes. Take them out of the tin and let them cool all the way on a wire rack (this is important, because if you leave them in the muffin tin the papers will get soggy).
- These muffins taste the best while they are warm. Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container, I suggest reheating them a little before eating them after they've cooled. Enjoy!
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.
What’s your favorite banana recipe?[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]
[separator style_type="single" top_margin="20" bottom_margin="20" sep_color="#dddddd" border_size="1" icon="" icon_circle="" icon_circle_color="" width="" alignment="center" class="" id=""] [fullwidth background_color="" background_image="" background_parallax="none" enable_mobile="no" parallax_speed="0.3" background_repeat="no-repeat" background_position="left top" video_url="" video_aspect_ratio="16:9" video_webm="" video_mp4="" video_ogv="" video_preview_image="" overlay_color="" overlay_opacity="0.5" video_mute="yes" video_loop="yes" fade="no" border_size="0px" border_color="" border_style="" padding_top="20" padding_bottom="20" padding_left="" padding_right="" hundred_percent="no" equal_height_columns="no" hide_on_mobile="no" menu_anchor="" class="" id=""]
SIGN UP FOR FREE UPDATES, OFFERS, & TIPS.
Plus I'll send you a free copy of "Your Simply Healthy Handbook." It's your #1 resource to make healthy living easy.