Lemons and blueberries are so wonderful together! This Lemon Blueberry Loaf combines tangy lemon zest and sweet blueberries, and it makes a delicious snack or dessert. It’s a quick bread, so there’s no waiting for anything to rise…just mix up the ingredients and pour the batter into a loaf pan, and before you know it you’ll be enjoying a warm slice of sweet bread. A little butter melting on top (Amish butter or homemade cultured butter are both delicious) really rounds out this treat!
To make the bread, first zest an organic lemon. The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of lemon zest, but I love the lemon flavor so I put in a bit more zest. Mix together a cup and a half of gluten free flour (unbleached wheat flour works also) with a bit of aluminum free baking powder, and set this aside. Melt 1/3 cup of organic butter or coconut oil, and beat it with 3/4 cup of organic evaporated cane juice or rapadura. Then, add 2 organic cage-free eggs and the lemon zest to the sugar and butter, and whip until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the juice of one lemon, and whip until combined. Then, slowly add the flour mixture to the creamy butter mixture, and blend. Add 1/3 cup of milk (dairy, coconut and almond all work well) and mix for a few minutes more.
When it comes to the blueberries, there are a few ways to do this. If you are using fresh blueberries, you can gently stir them into the batter without much concern. However, frozen blueberries are softer and stirring them into the batter might result in lemon bread that’s a greyish color. It will taste the same, but if you want your bread to be lemony-yellow you may need to take some precautions. Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil or butter, and then pour the batter into the the pan. Then, sprinkle the blueberries on top and push them into the loaf with the end of a wooden spoon. Swirl a spatula over the top of the batter to cover the holes, which will also make a pretty blue pattern on top of the bread.
Bake the bread for about an hour, and then let it cool. Slice and serve…delicious for brunch, with tea, or as a dessert.
- 1½ cups organic gluten free flour blend, or organic unbleached wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup organic butter or coconut oil (where to buy)
- ¾ cup organic rapadura or evaporated cane juice
- 2 organic, cage free eggs
- 3 tablespoons organic lemon juice (or juice of 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- ½ cup organic grass fed milk, or use coconut or almond milk
- 1 cup organic blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Melt the butter or coconut oil, and use a mixer to beat it and the sugar. Add the eggs, and beat until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, and beat for a few minutes.
- Mix in the flour mixture a bit at a time, blending well. Then add the milk or milk substitute and continue to beat until the batter is smooth.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter or coconut oil. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle the blueberries on top of the batter, and poke them into the loaf with the end of a wooden spoon. Smooth the top of the batter with a spatula, and bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for at least 7 minutes before slicing and serving.
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.
Do you have a favorite lemon and blueberry recipe?