Do you like pumpkin? This time of year, pumpkin seems to be everywhere. In coffee, soup, bread…and cookies! I love a nice, chewy pumpkin chocolate chip cookie. Over the years, I’ve experimented and found several gluten free recipes that work wonderfully! The addition of pumpkin (or any other pureed fruit or veggie) really helps the texture of gluten free baked goods. This recipe for healthy gluten free pumpkin chocolate chip cookies uses homemade oat flour, and I’m so glad that I tried it because the texture and taste of these cookies is just amazing! It’s wonderful to be able to give my kids pumpkin cookies that I know are free from anything unhealthy…homemade oat flour, egg, honey, a little rapadura or organic brown sugar, and organic pumpkin. What could be more simple and healthy?
I found the recipe at Chelsea’s Messy Apron, a darling blog full of great recipes. Start by making the oat flour. It may sound a little daunting to begin by making flour from scratch, but it couldn’t be easier! Just put some organic, gluten free oats in a food processor and pulse until you’ve got flour. Yep, it’s that easy! You can grind it up pretty fine, but I found that it’s really very yummy to leave it just a bit coarse…the tiny pieces of oats give the cookies such a nice, moist texture.
Once you’ve got your flour, beat together an egg, some pumpkin, honey, and a touch of sugar. Combine your oat flour with spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and a bit of clove are what I used) and some baking soda, then combine it with the pumpkin mixture. Add some organic, free trade chocolate chips and there you have it! Batter in a snap. It will look a little thin, but after you chill it for about 1/2 hour it’ll be ready to go. Drop it by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a pan, and pop them in the oven!
I am in love with the chewy, moist and flavorful goodness of these cookies. They would also be delicious as a breakfast cookie, with raisins and some raw shelled pumpkin seeds mixed in. Go ahead and have seconds, they really are low in sugar and full of fiber and nutrients from the egg and pumpkin. I have to admit, I’ve made these cookies twice in the last 10 days…and I may just make them again before the week is over!
- ½ cup organic pureed pumpkin (from a can or homemade, not pumpkin pie filling, which has sugar and other additives)
- 2 Tablespoons organic, raw honey
- 1 large organic, cage-free egg
- 2 Tablespoons organic rapadura, brown sugar, or evaporated cane juice
- ½ teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon organic ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon organic ground clove (or, use ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice instead of the nutmeg and clove)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup gluten free organic oat flour (from about 2 cups of organic, gluten free oats)
- ½-3/4 cup organic, fair trade chocolate chips (or use raisins and seeds or nuts)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, pulse the gluten free oats until they are powdery.
- In one bowl, beat the egg, pumpkin, honey, and sugar.
- In a different bowl, combine the oat flour, baking powder, and spices.
- Combine the flour mixture with the pumpkin mixture, and blend well. Stir in the chocolate chips or raisins and nuts. The dough will look thin.
- Chill the dough for ½ hour. This gives the oat flour time to absorb the liquid, and your dough will be thicker.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or greased.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes. Cookies are better a bit underdone, chewier and more moist.
- Allow the cookies to cool for five minutes, then serve.
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.
Do you have a favorite pumpkin recipe?
[separator style_type="single" top_margin="20" bottom_margin="20" sep_color="#dddddd" border_size="1" icon="" icon_circle="" icon_circle_color="" width="" alignment="center" class="" id=""] [fullwidth background_color="" background_image="" background_parallax="none" enable_mobile="no" parallax_speed="0.3" background_repeat="no-repeat" background_position="left top" video_url="" video_aspect_ratio="16:9" video_webm="" video_mp4="" video_ogv="" video_preview_image="" overlay_color="" overlay_opacity="0.5" video_mute="yes" video_loop="yes" fade="no" border_size="0px" border_color="" border_style="" padding_top="20" padding_bottom="20" padding_left="" padding_right="" hundred_percent="no" equal_height_columns="no" hide_on_mobile="no" menu_anchor="" class="" id=""]
SIGN UP FOR FREE UPDATES, OFFERS, & TIPS.
Plus I'll send you a free copy of "Your Simply Healthy Handbook." It's your #1 resource to make healthy living easy.