As a native Montanan, I admit to having a fondness for cowboys. Caviar? Maybe not so much. But the great news is, there are neither cowboys nor caviar in this delicious recipe! Cowboy Caviar (from this recipe at myrecipes.com), which can be served either as an hors d’oeuvre or a salad, is a flavorful medley of avocado, tomatoes, black-eyed peas and corn kernels tossed with minced garlic, apple cider vinegar,olive oil, fresh cilantro and a touch of hot sauce. Served with tortilla chips (here’s a wonderful recipe for homemade chips) it makes a great appetizer, or toss it with shredded cabbage for a hearty salad.
Start with fresh organic avocado and chopped ripe tomatoes. Just mix together the oil and vinegar dressing, stir in the rest of the ingredients and you’re ready to serve! It make a bright, colorful dish to set out on the table as a snack before dinner, bursting with the flavor of fresh veggies. This is a great way to showcase the fresh tomatoes from your garden! On a crisp chip, it makes a wonderful alternative to heavier, dairy-based dips. Or, toss it with some shredded cabbage and serve it for lunch! Very simple, but hearty and full of nutrients. The black eyed peas (which are actually beans) provide some stick-to-your-ribs protein. Or, grill up some chicken and serve it on top for a filling dinner salad.
Just had to share this picture of the scenery behind the food…everything tastes better with a view like this! Enjoying some vacation time with family in the beautiful Palouse hills. Food, family, and fresh air…it doesn’t get much better than this!
- 2 Tablespoons organic red wine vinegar, or organic apple cider vinegar
- 1½ to 2 teaspoons organic hot sauce
- 1½ teaspoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove organic garlic, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 firm-ripe organic avacado
- 1 can (11 ounces) organic black-eyed peas (or black beans, canned or cooked from dried)
- 8 ounces organic corn kernels
- ⅔ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ⅔ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ pound organic Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- sea salt to taste
- Organic tortilla chips (here's how to make your own) or 2 cups organic shredded cabbage
- In a bowl, mix vinegar, hot sauce, oil, garlic, and pepper. Peel, pit, and cut avocado into ½ inch cubes. add to vinegar mixture and mix gently to coat.
- Drain and rinse black eyed peas (or black beans). Add the peas, corn, green onions, cilantro, and tomatoes to the avocado; mix gently to coat. Add salt to taste.
- Serve with chips as an appetizer, or toss with the cabbage as a salad.
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.