My husband really like Chinese foods. Unfortunately, we don’t have a lot of great options for local Chinese cuisine that meets our food standards. We like to avoid MSG, GMO soy sauce, and CAFO meats as much as possible. Thankfully, I’ve been able to real foodify one of our favorites: Cashew Chicken. And the hubs is totally in love with it. And so am I.
The homemade hoisin sauce does contain soy sauce… and generally soy is an ingredient I avoid. But if you purchase organic fermented soy sauce, I think it’s a great ingredient to use every now and then. Just be sure to avoid non-organic varieties as they are usually GMO. (Learn more about why I avoid most soy here.)
- 2 - 3 large chicken breasts (organic and pastured raised is best), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Tbs arrowroot powder (GMO-free cornstarch can also be used)
- Real sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tbs expellar pressed coconut oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 - 8 green onions, white and green parts separated, chopped
- 2 Tbs rice vinegar
- Hoisin Sauce (see recipe below)
- ¾ cups raw cashews, toasted
- 4 Tbs organic soy sauce (naturally fermented is best... like this one.)
- 2 Tbs pure peanut butter
- 1 Tbs honey
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil (you can use olive oil in a pinch, but it won't be as "authentic")
- fresh ground pepper
- Toast the cashews by spreading them on a baking dish and baking for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Place aside.
- Toss chicken pieces in arrowroot powder and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat coconut oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken, garlic, and the white parts of the green onion. Stir often until chicken is cooked through.
- Add rice vinegar to skillet and cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
- Add homemade hoisin sauce (below) and cook until warm. Add toasted cashews and remaining green onions. Serve over rice, in lettuce wraps, or with any other favorite side.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.