Cupcakes are so cute! The dainty size, the cute paper wrapper, and of course the thick swirl of frosting on top…no wonder cupcake shops are cropping up all over town. Unfortunately, most store-bought cupcakes are cuter than they are nutritious. Even if they aren’t made with bleached flour and chemical food dyes (and frosted with a shortening-based frosting), they’re at best lacking in nutritional value. Sometimes I want to make a sweet and cute treat for my family, but if we’re eating something sweet I really want it be nutritionally dense as well. These cupcakes are a great balance between sweet tooth and nutrition!
The cupcake itself is made with whipped egg whites, a little gluten free flour, and lots of spices…cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and clove. Pureed over-ripe bananas give it some of its sweetness, helped out by just a bit of honey. Instead of a traditional fat-and-sugar frosting, I made thick custard out of egg yolks, milk, cinnamon, honey and vanilla. Cooled, whipped, and then blended with some whipped cream, the frosting is easy to pipe on top of the cupcakes with a pretty frosting tip. Whipped custard frosting makes a beautiful but healthier option for your cupcakes!
To make the cupcakes, start by separating five organic, cage-free eggs. Save the yolks for the custard! Whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, and set them aside. In a different bowl, mix together 3/4 cup of gluten free flour (or use unbleached organic wheat flour) and the spices. Add two very ripe bananas to the flour mixture, and beat until a paste forms. Then, fold the egg whites into the banana-and flour mixture (you can use the paddle attachment of your stand mixer for this, or just mix it in carefully by hand). Spoon the cake mixture into a pan with cupcake liners, and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean).
While the cupcakes are cooking and cooling, make the custard frosting. In a saucepan, mix organic whole milk with honey. Bring this to a boil, and then reduce the heat. Slowly drizzle in the five beaten egg yolks, then heat and stir continually until the mixture starts to thicken. Remove the custard from the heat and add the vanilla and cinnamon, and then cool the custard completely in the fridge.
When the cupcakes are cooked and cooled, take the custard out of the fridge and whip it with a mixer until it’s smooth. Transfer it to a different bowl, and then whip some organic whipping cream and honey until it’s light and fluffy. Fold the custard into the whipped cream and stir until it’s combined. Then, you can put the frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a star-shaped tip and pipe the custard on top of the cupcakes. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and a slice of banana or a candied almond, and serve up a little sweet happiness!
- 5 organic, cage-free egg whites
- ¾ cup organic gluten free flour (or unbleached wheat flour)
- 2 organic, over-ripe bananas (pureed)
- 2 tablespoons organic honey
- 1 teaspoon organic, real vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon organic ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon organic ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon organic ground clove
- 5 organic cage-free egg yolks
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- ¼ cup organic honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup organic, grass-fed whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons organic raw honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With a mixer, beat egg whites on high until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a different bowl, stir together the flour and spices.
- Into the flour mixture, add the pureed banana, honey and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- Fold the whipped egg whites into the banana and flour mixture, mixing until the two are just combined.
- Spoon the batter into a lined cupcake pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are baking and cooling, make the frosting. Pour the milk into a saucepan, and stir in the honey. Bring this mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat. Carefully drizzle the beaten egg yolks into the hot milk mixture, a tiny bit at a time so that the eggs don't set.
- Remove the custard from the heat and add the vanilla and cinnamon, and then cool the custard completely in the fridge.
- When the cupcakes are cooked and cooled, take the custard out of the fridge and whip it with a mixer until it's smooth. Transfer it to a different bowl, and then whip some organic whipping cream and honey until it's light and fluffy. Fold the custard into the whipped cream and stir until it's combined.
- Put the frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a star-shaped tip and pipe the custard on top of the cupcakes. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and a slice of banana or a candied almond, and serve up a little sweet happiness!
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.
What’s your favorite type of cupcake?
[separator style_type="single" top_margin="20" bottom_margin="20" sep_color="#dddddd" border_size="1" icon="" icon_circle="" icon_circle_color="" width="" alignment="center" class="" id=""] [fullwidth background_color="" background_image="" background_parallax="none" enable_mobile="no" parallax_speed="0.3" background_repeat="no-repeat" background_position="left top" video_url="" video_aspect_ratio="16:9" video_webm="" video_mp4="" video_ogv="" video_preview_image="" overlay_color="" overlay_opacity="0.5" video_mute="yes" video_loop="yes" fade="no" border_size="0px" border_color="" border_style="" padding_top="20" padding_bottom="20" padding_left="" padding_right="" hundred_percent="no" equal_height_columns="no" hide_on_mobile="no" menu_anchor="" class="" id=""]
SIGN UP FOR FREE UPDATES, OFFERS, & TIPS.
Plus I'll send you a free copy of "Your Simply Healthy Handbook." It's your #1 resource to make healthy living easy.