Another soup recipe? Yep. This Italian Sausage and Roasted Tomato Soup is really good. It’s hearty, comforting, a little bit spicy, and super flavorful. It will fill you up. To quote my husband:
This soup makes me want to wear a dress of roses and frolick in a field of unicorns.
Not sure what that means, but it can’t be bad… right?
The best part about this soup is that nothing comes from a can. (No BPA here, thankyouverymuch.) And the tomatoes are roasted under the broiler so it’s not a recipe that will take you all afternoon to make. Throw in some nourishing chicken broth and delicious (humanely raised) sausage and you have yourself a real food winner.
Italian Sausage and Roasted Tomato Soup
2 Tbs. coconut oil
1 lb of Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 – 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 – 4 medium sized tomatoes
2 bay leaves
4 cups chicken stock
8 oz. Fusilli pasta
salt and pepper
grated Parmesan cheese
1. Roast the Tomatoes: Cut your tomatoes into small chunks. Spread onto a sheet pan. Drizzle with Olive Oil and sprinkle with Salt and Pepper. Place under your broiler for 5 – 10 minutes, rotating the pan every couple of minutes. (Keep a close eye on these. The skin should start to look wrinkled, but not burned.)
2. While tomatoes are roasting, chop your onion and mince your garlic.
3. Heat coconut oil in large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and stir until it browns, about 5 minutes.
4. Add onions and garlic. Cook until softened, about 4 – 6 minutes.
5. Add spices, roasted tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Add in pasta and cook until al dente, about 10 – 15 minutes. (Be careful not to overcook pasta as it will get mushy).
7. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle in bowls. Add grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Eat up. This is good stuff, my friend.
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.