Homemade fruit snacks are at the heart of the story I’m about to share. It’s a story about being that mom. Sometimes I hate being that mom. You know, the mom who thinks her kid deserves only truly healthy fruit snacks.
Well, I don’t really hate being that mom.
But I do hate being the mom that tries to hide her look of fear and disgust as an innocent (and very kind) parent or child offers my child an artificial, store-bought, and full of fake dyes fruit snack. I grit my teeth and politely push a “thank you” from my lips while in my head I’m screaming: DON’T FEED THAT TO MY CHILD!!!!
Yeah, I don’t really like being that mom.
I try not to go too crazy… after all, I know my kids gets real food 99% of the time… so the rare non homemade fruit snack or handful of gold fish crackers won’t kill her. But still. Sundays are always the worse as we head off to church and then my parents’ home. I practice my deep breathing, picture lovely things, and wish I had a better alternative to the processed offerings that seem to come at every angle. Why can’t I just find a healthy fruit snack!?!
Fear not. I have found it. My healthy homemade fruit snack.
Not too long ago, Heather (aka: The Mommypotamus) posted a gem of a recipe for easy sour gummies. I made them. I loved them. And have since been inspired to create my own version of healthy homemade fruit snacks.
Why are these homemade fruit snacks healthy?
I’m glad you asked! Not only are these homemade healthy fruit snacks made from whole fruit, but they also use grass-fed gelatin. Gelatin has lots of benefits and can help keep nails strong, hair beautiful, and skin young. It’s also a great source of high quality protein and amino acids. In fact, for my picky kids, these homemade fruit snacks are a heavenly gift. They love them. I love them. Everyone loves homemade healthy fruit snacks! (Clap your hands and sing along!)
Sweetened only with a little bit of honey, and colored by the fruit themselves, these snacks are simple, delicious, and very kid (and crazy mom) friendly. Blueberry is my favorite (which is saying something because it’s my least favorite berry of the bunch). Combined with the lemon juice… oh boy. They are good. Yes, these yummy treats are a truly healthy fruit snack.
- ⅔ cup fresh lemon juice or fresh orange juice (if you don't like sour go with orange, but I definitely prefer the lemon!)
- ⅔ cup frozen or fresh berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries are all great.)
- 1 - 2 Tbs honey
- 5 Tbs gelatin (from grass fed cows...Instructions
- Pour juice and berries into a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until berries become tender and begin to soften.
- Add honey and stir until completely incorporated. You will want the fruit to dissolve quite a bit until you have a compote.
- Turn the heat off, and quickly whisk in gelatin one tablespoon at a time. Whisk vigorously until completely incorporated, mixing the gelatin in very gradually to avoid lumps.
- Puree mixture using a immersion blender or small blender (my magic bullet works great for this! Just be sure to cool slightly before moving over.)
- Pour into a 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 glass dish. Refrigerate until set (30 minutes to an hour). Cut in small squares. (You could also use some cute molds like this and create awesome shapes. I'm not awesome like that... but you could be!)
Note: I like to keep these homemade fruit snacks in my fridge (I love cold things!), but they do transport and keep nicely at room temperature.
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.
A healthy homemade fruit snack… who knew it could be so easy?
[separator style_type="single" top_margin="20" bottom_margin="20" sep_color="#dddddd" border_size="1" icon="" icon_circle="" icon_circle_color="" width="" alignment="center" class="" id=""] [fullwidth background_color="" background_image="" background_parallax="none" enable_mobile="no" parallax_speed="0.3" background_repeat="no-repeat" background_position="left top" video_url="" video_aspect_ratio="16:9" video_webm="" video_mp4="" video_ogv="" video_preview_image="" overlay_color="" overlay_opacity="0.5" video_mute="yes" video_loop="yes" fade="no" border_size="0px" border_color="" border_style="" padding_top="20" padding_bottom="20" padding_left="" padding_right="" hundred_percent="no" equal_height_columns="no" hide_on_mobile="no" menu_anchor="" class="" id=""]
SIGN UP FOR FREE UPDATES, OFFERS, & TIPS.
Plus I'll send you a free copy of "Your Simply Healthy Handbook." It's your #1 resource to make healthy living easy.