Something about berry cobble that just makes me sigh a luxurious “I love summer-time” sigh. Know what I mean? This cast iron berry cobble is so yummy… especially with some raw vanilla ice cream on top. Also, it’s easy to make. And that’s always a win in my book. Don’t you think?
I love my cast iron cookware! I love how inexpensive it is, how long it will last (can you say forever!?), and that I’m not eating a bunch of toxins. If you are new to cast iron you really got to give it a try. Check out this post for information on how to properly care for cast iron.
For this recipe you can use whatever flour you have on hand. I’ve made this with sprouted flour and fresh ground pastry wheat flour. And I wouldn’t think any less of you if you decide you want to use all purpose flour for a light cobbler goodness. This is dessert, after all, and it’s okay to indulge every now and then. This definitely beats any kind of “treat” you’d get in the frozen food section or drive through window.
So… make, eat, and enjoy.
- 1½ cups sprouted wheat or spelt flour
- 1 cup rapadura or organic cane sugar (like this)
- 3 Tbs. raw honey
- ½ tsp real sea salt (like this)
- 2½ tsp aluminum free baking powder (like this)
- 1½ cup whole milk (raw and organic, if you please)
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 3 cups of fresh or frozen berries, divided (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries are all good. Cut any larger berries into bite size pieces.)
- juice of 1 lemonInstructions
Note: IF there are any left overs, remove from pan and store in a different container. You never want to store food in cast iron as food can begin to take on a metallic flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In your cast iron skillet (12"), heat over medium-high heat 1½ cups of berries, honey, and lemon juice. Stir for 10 or so minutes until berries begin to break down into a thick compote. Pour mixture into a bowl and add the remaining uncooked berries. Mix together and let cool slightly.
- Add butter to the now empty cast iron skillet and let melt completely.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add milk and stir until there are no lumps.
- Mix flour mixture in with melted butter (right into the skillet). Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Slowly drop the fruit mixture on top of the flour batter. Do not stir in berries, just let them drop into the mixture as evenly as possible. Once you've dropped the berries in, don't touch it. Just put it in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until cooked through. (If the edges start to get brown simply cover with foil.)
- Let cool for 10 minutes before eating. I know it's hard, but you don't want to burn your mouth. Add some ice cream and enjoy!
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.
What are your favorite summer-time treats?[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]
[separator style_type="single" top_margin="20" bottom_margin="20" sep_color="#dddddd" border_size="1" icon="" icon_circle="" icon_circle_color="" width="" alignment="center" class="" id=""] [fullwidth background_color="" background_image="" background_parallax="none" enable_mobile="no" parallax_speed="0.3" background_repeat="no-repeat" background_position="left top" video_url="" video_aspect_ratio="16:9" video_webm="" video_mp4="" video_ogv="" video_preview_image="" overlay_color="" overlay_opacity="0.5" video_mute="yes" video_loop="yes" fade="no" border_size="0px" border_color="" border_style="" padding_top="20" padding_bottom="20" padding_left="" padding_right="" hundred_percent="no" equal_height_columns="no" hide_on_mobile="no" menu_anchor="" class="" id=""]
SIGN UP FOR FREE UPDATES, OFFERS, & TIPS.
Plus I'll send you a free copy of "Your Simply Healthy Handbook." It's your #1 resource to make healthy living easy.