The uses for coconut oil are many. Like, there are A TON of uses for coconut oil… but today I’m trying to distill that lengthy list to my absolute favorite uses for coconut oil. In case you didn’t know, I love the stuff. It’s definitely one of my super-star real food ingredients that makes it’s way into more than just my kitchen. It’s up there with lemons, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar. With all the many uses for coconut oil and it’s long list of benefits, this definitely an ingredient you should have in your home at all time.
But just in case you’re new to coconut oil, I’m giving you my favorite uses for coconut oil right here, right now.
Uses for Coconut Oil: 31 Favorite Ways to use Coconut Oil
As a nutrient-dense food:
Of all the uses for coconut oil, we have to start with food. After all, coconut oil is super good for you! Coconut oil is made of primarily medium-chain fatty acids making it easily digestible and converted into energy in the body. It also contains lauric acid which has been linked to amazing health benefits. It has anti-viral, antibacterial, anit-microbial, and anti-fungal properties. It’s been shown that consuming coconut oil is good for overall immunity, reduces hypertension, helps reduce arterial injury, boosts energy, and helps keep proper cholesterol balance. It’s a great source of healthy (yes, healthy) saturated fats.
There is some evidence that coconut oil helps digestion and may even kill intestinal parasites or yeast. When taken regularly coconut oil has been shown to help fight candida, boost hormone production, and increase metabolism. Winner!
Culinary Uses for Coconut Oil
Eat it by the spoonful, it’s that good for you. But if that doesn’t appeal to you, here are some other options to get this super food in your diet:
1. Use coconut oil (with a little butter, if you’re like me) to make the best fried eggs ever.
2. Add a tablespoon or two to your smoothie for a nutritional boost.
4. In fact, use coconut oil anytime a recipe calls for “vegetable oil” or “shortening.” Really, don’t eat that garbage. You’ll find that of all the uses for coconut oil, simply swapping it out for processed fake fats is super easy.
5. Make these awesome Peppermint Patties…
6. Or these Black Bean Brownies…
7. Or these Chocolate Chip Cookies…
8. Or these Healthy Peanut Butter Cups…
9. Or these Coconut Berry Delights…
10. Or these Chocolate Covered Strawberries…
Or, or, or… you get the point. There are countless uses for coconut oil for improved health, and plenty of ways to add coconut oil to your diet.
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.
Personal Care Uses for Coconut Oil
Because of coconut oil’s anti-viral, antibacterial, anit-microbial, and anti-fungal properties it’s often found in plenty of beauty and personal care recipes. Here are just some of the ways you can use coconut oil outside the kitchen:
11. Use coconut oil as a super simple lotion. Just slather on and enjoy the moisture.
13. As a germ fighting ingredient in this toothpaste recipe. (Some people only use coconut oil for their toothpaste!)
15. Use coconut oil a moderate sun protection: “Coconut oil protects the body from sunburn and skin cancer without blocking the beneficial UV radiation. Coconut oil doesn’t rely on blocking out the sun’s rays, it works by preventing free-radical reactions which lead to all the consequences caused by overexposure to the sun.” Please note: If you’re going to be out in the sun for a long time I recommend something a little more powerful.
17. One of my favorite uses for coconut oil is as a “stretch mark” inhibitor during pregnancy (check out this belly balm recipe that uses coconut oil).
18. Use coconut oil as an ingredient in your own diy homemade mascara.
19. Use coconut oil as a face wash.
20. As a deep conditioner for your hair. Simple rub into your scalp and hair, leave on for a couple of hours and shampoo as normal. (Not recommended with no ‘poo as it can be a beast to get out of your hair!) This is one of my go-to uses for coconut oil for my super dry scalp.
21. As a shaving cream replacement.
22. To help fight athletes feet by being used topically.
23. Another favorite use for coconut oil: As a safe and natural personal lubricant.
24. As a diaper cream for baby’s (cloth diaper safe!)
25. Coconut oil as a cradle cap solution, just rub it on daily.
26. For a healthy mouth via oil pulling. (Here’s a great article on whether or not oil pulling works.)
27. As a topical treatment to help heal the perineum after birth.
28. Coconut oil can be used topically to relieve the pain of hemorrhoids.
Some Other Miscellaneous Uses for Coconut Oil
29. A perfect fat to season your cast iron cookware.
30. Nursing moms can take 3 – 4 tablespoons of Coconut Oil a day to increase milk supply.
31. Remove stubborn stickers and labels. (This is another one of my favorite uses for coconut oil… hello, small children!)
Tell me, what’s your favorite use for coconut oil?
[separator style_type="single" top_margin="20" bottom_margin="20" sep_color="#dddddd" border_size="1" icon="" icon_circle="" icon_circle_color="" width="" alignment="center" class="" id=""] [fullwidth background_color="" background_image="" background_parallax="none" enable_mobile="no" parallax_speed="0.3" background_repeat="no-repeat" background_position="left top" video_url="" video_aspect_ratio="16:9" video_webm="" video_mp4="" video_ogv="" video_preview_image="" overlay_color="" overlay_opacity="0.5" video_mute="yes" video_loop="yes" fade="no" border_size="0px" border_color="" border_style="" padding_top="20" padding_bottom="20" padding_left="" padding_right="" hundred_percent="no" equal_height_columns="no" hide_on_mobile="no" menu_anchor="" class="" id=""]
SIGN UP FOR FREE UPDATES, OFFERS, & TIPS.
Plus I'll send you a free copy of "Your Simply Healthy Handbook." It's your #1 resource to make healthy living easy.