We’re going a bit crazy with the pumpkin around here, but it sure feels like great way to ring in the month of November. Today’s treasure? Savory Pumpkin Crackers! Made with organic pureed pumpkin (here’s how to do it yourself), organic gluten free flour, and ground flax seed, these crackers are easy to make and wonderfully crisp. Seasoned with sea salt and rosemary, they’re topped with toasted pumpkin seeds so they’re as cute as can be sitting there by the cheese. Wouldn’t these go great as an appetizer before your Thanksgiving dinner? They have a savory taste with just a hint of pumpkin flavor. These are amazing with a little dill cream cheese spread and sprinkled with chives, or with a piece of raw milk cheese topped with a sliver of roasted red pepper. Delicious!
To make the crackers, just toss some gluten free flour (whole wheat works well too) and ground flax seed into a food processor. Add pumpkin puree, a bit of extra virgin olive oil, some salt and rosemary and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Then, slowly add water as you run the food processor…the mixture will form a ball. You’re ready to roll!
Roll half the mixture out on a piece of parchment paper, about 1/8 inch thick. Using a pizza wheel, cut the crackers into the shape you’d like. Prick each cracker with a fork, because they do puff a bit in the oven and you might end up with a bunch of tiny, tasty pillows (unless you want puffed crackers…they’re actually kind of neat that way). Sprinkle them with sea salt, a bit of dried rosemary, and some shelled pumpkin seeds. If you want, you could be creative with the topping…maybe a little Parmesan cheese, or sea salt and cracked pepper? Repeat the process with the other half of the dough.
Bake the crackers for 10 minutes at 450 degrees, and you’re ready to serve up delicious, healthy homemade crackers. It may seem like a lot to make your own crackers, but it was faster and easier (and a whole lot less expensive) to make these treats than it would have been to drive to the store to buy crackers in a box!
- 1½ cups organic flour (your favorite gluten free blend, or whole wheat)
- ½ cup organic ground flax seed
- ½ cup organic pumpkin puree (here's how to make it yourself)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- ⅓ cup water
- sea salt, crushed rosemary, and shelled pumpkin seeds (optional, for the top)
- In a food processor, combine the flour, flax seed, sea salt, cumin, oil and pumpkin puree.
- Pulse until the mixture is crumbly.
- While the food processor is running, add the water a little at time. The dough will form a ball.
- Dust a rolling pin with flour, and sprinkle some on a piece of parchment paper. Roll half the cracker dough on the parchment, making it an even ⅛ inch thick.
- Using a pizza wheel or knife, cut the crackers into the shape you'd like. Use a fork to prick each cracker several times, to avoid the crackers blowing up like little pillows.
- Sprinkle sea salt, crushed rosemary, and pumpkin seeds on top of the crackers. Press the toppings lightly into the crackers. Transfer the parchment and crackers to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until browned and crisp. Allow the crackers to cool, then break them apart and serve.
Looking for more delicious real food recipes? I’ve got your back!
I’ve put together 85 incredible dishes that are full of flavor, super yummy, and good for you, too. From main dishes to desserts (and everything in between) you’ll have some fun new eats that I know you’ll love.
Best part? The ebook is only 2 bucks. It’s a total no-brainer, right? Right. Click here to check it out.
Have you tried making homemade crackers?