Nothing will make your house smell quite as delicious as this amazing roast chicken recipe. The chicken comes out juicy, the skin crisp. It’s really one of my favorite things to make. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super easy, too.
The best part is that this is a meal that keeps on giving. For our little family we are able to really get a lot of bang for our buck. We’ll enjoy some roast chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and a side or two of veggies the day of, but we’ll also have plenty of meat left over that I can use in soups, fajitas, stir fry, or wherever. I simply shred and freeze the leftover meat.
And then, of course, I can use the frame and organs of the chicken to make nourishing chicken stock. With my crock-pot chicken broth recipe, I’m usually able to stock up my freezer with enough stock to last until we’re ready for another roast chicken. Perfect.
Simple Roast Chicken Recipe
1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds
1 medium onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 lemon, halved
6 – 8 Tbs melted butter
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp ground oregano
real sea salt
ground black pepper
Looking for quality real food ingredients? Be sure to the check out the Village Green Marketplace!
Preheat oven to 375.
1. Spread onions across the bottom of a roasting pan or dutch oven.
2. Generously salt and pepper the cavity of the bird (make sure to take out any giblets first). Stuff cavity with garlic cloves, 2 Tbs of butter, and both halves of the lemon. Place bird upside down on top of onions in pan.
3. Brush outside of bird with 3 Tbs of melted butter. Sprinkle oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper over the outside of the bird.
4. Bake in 375 degree oven, uncovered, for 1 hour.
5. Carefully turn bird over, brush again with remaining melted butter and some salt and pepper. Bake for another hour. (If skin starts to get too brown, cover with lid or foil.)
6. After baking, let bird rest for 10 – 15 minutes before moving to a cutting board to carve.
This post is part of Sunday School, Monday Mania, Natural Living Monday, Weekend Gourmet, Sweet Sharing Monday, Motivation Monday, Fat Tuesday, Scratch Cookin’ Tuesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, The Mommy Club, Wednesday Fresh Food, Real Food Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Tastetastic Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Eat Make Grow Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Keep it Real Thursday, Freaky Friday, and Make Your Own Monday.
NOTE: Due to an never-ending cesspool of spam, I have made the tough decision to close comments 14 days after the original posting of all posts. If you have a burning question or are looking for support in your journey to healthy living, please join the Thank Your Body Friends facebook page here.