Homemade peppermint patties. These are awesome. And a super delicious treat that is perfect to give as a holiday gift… or enjoy all by yourself. Either way. And with the right ingredients, there is no guilt attached to these delicious morsels. Real food, real enjoyment. Sounds good to me.
But what exactly was my inspiration for these homemade peppermint patties? Well, I’ll tell you… it came in the form of a text. From the hubs:
Totally True Text from Tom:
Just a thought, a holiday post for homemade peppermint patties could be fun… and delicious… no pressure… just saying… just a wishing… just a thinking… I WANT A PEPPERMINT PATTY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!
How do you say “no” to that? And my husband was right, homemade peppermint patties seemed perfect as we are just days away from Christmas.
Homemade Peppermint Patties
For peppermint filling:
1 ¾ cup powdered sugar (learn to make healthier homemade powdered sugar here)
¾ – 1 cup coconut oil
¼ tsp real salt
1 tsp peppermint extract
For chocolate coating:
8 oz. dark chocolate chips (fair trade, please)
2 tsp coconut oil
1. Mix all the peppermint filling ingredients together in a medium bowl. Use the back of a spoon to “cream” together the ingredients. Start with just 1/2 cup of coconut oil and add in up to one cup until you get a nice firm consistency that sticks together when you squeeze it.
2. Form mixture into small discs and place on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Place in freezer for about 10 minutes while you make the chocolate coating.
3. Heat chocolate and 2 tsp of coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir continuously to avoid scorching. Remove from heat once fully melted.
4. Drop discs into chocolate. Using a small spoon turn over a couple of times to completely cover. Take out with a fork and let the excess chocolate drip off before moving them back to the lined baking sheet.
5. Place covered discs back in the freezer and keep there until firm. Store in fridge or freezer to prevent melting.