Baked Chicken Kiev… it just sounds fancy, doesn’t it? Don’t let the name scare you from making this delicious meal. It’s YUM on a plate. Seriously. What makes baked chicken kiev so good? I’ll give you a hint:
Yeah, it’s the butter. An herby, garlicky, delicious buttery goodness that is stuffed inside the chicken. Yes, stuffed. Drooling yet? Good.
And lest you think the butter makes this dish a healthy “no no,” may I please remind you of the benefits of butter? Butter tastes good. Butter (real butter) is good for you. So yes, this baked chicken kiev recipe should not be ignored. Make it tonight if you can. It’s that good.
Baked Chicken Kiev
4 chicken breasts, halved
Salt and pepper
2 cups sprouted bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tsp water
1/2 cup sprouted wheat flour
Extra Virgin olive oil for drizzling
For the butter filling:
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 Tbs fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
2 – 4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp real salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare butter filling: Using the back of a wooden spoon or a mixer, cream together all the butter ingredients into a small ball. Shape butter into a small 6 x 3″ rectangle on wax paper. Wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. One at a time, place chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper. Using a mallet or rolling pin, gently pound the chicken until 1/4 inch thick. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Cut the chilled butter into 8 pieces. Place a piece in the middle of a flattened chicken breast. Wrap chicken around butter, pressing gently to seal any seams. Make sure the butter is completely covered.
4. Combine bread crumbs, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper into a small bowl.
5. Whisk 2 eggs with 2 tsp water in a shallow bowl.
6. Spread the flour on a plate.
7. Coat chicken packets in flour, then roll in egg mixture. Finish by coating with bread crumbs, making sure to cover the entire packet. Repeat for all chicken packets and then refrigerate for 1 – 8 hours.
8. Place chicken packets on a greased wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Drizzle chicken with olive oil. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Bake until chicken is lightly browned and feels firm when gently pressed.
Enjoy every last juicy bit!
This post is part of Make Your Own Monday, Motivation Monday, Sweet Sharing Monday, Natural Living Monday, Monday Mania, Whole Foods Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Weekend Gourmet, Fat Tuesday, Scratch Cookin’ Tuesday, The Mommy Club, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Real Food Wednesday, Tastetastic Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Keep it Real Thursday, Wednesday Fresh Food, Simple Lives Thursday, Fill Those Jars, Farm Girl, Pennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday, Eat Make Grow Thursday, Freaky Friday, and Sunday School.